When will I get my tax rebate 2019/20?

22nd October 2019

When will I get my tax rebate for 2019/20?

Paying too much tax can be frustrating, especially as it can take some time to get your tax rebate. Here’s a guide to when you can expect to get your tax rebate for 2019 and how to claim.


What is a tax rebate?

A tax rebate is a refund of any income tax you have overpaid during the tax year (for 2019/20, the tax year runs from April 6th 2019 to April 5th 2020).

Who is eligible to get tax back?

There are several reasons you may be eligible for a tax rebate. The most common reasons for overpaying are:

  • Having too much tax taken from your pay – for example, if you are put onto an emergency tax code
  • If you have stopped working and have not used all of your personal allowance
  • Paying too much tax on your self-assessment tax return
  • Paying too much tax on your pension income

You may also be able to claim a rebate for fuel costs or work clothing for your job, interest from savings, foreign income or UK income if you work abroad.

How do I claim my tax rebate?

If you are due a tax rebate, HMRC will usually let you know via a letter called a P800. However, this can take several months as they are only issued after the tax year has ended. For instance, you are unlikely to receive a P800 for the 2019/20 tax year until around September 2020.

You can check how to claim at any time using HMRC’s online checker tool and you have up to four years following the end of the tax year in which you overpaid to make a claim.

Your Circumstances Your Process
Employed and paid too much tax If you think your tax code is wrong for the current tax year, you can login and update your details on your personal tax account. Make sure you have your payslips handy as you will need to provide information about your taxable income (including any employee benefits you receive such as a company car). Once your tax code has been updated you will receive any tax back in your next pay.

If your claim is for a previous tax year, HMRC will normally pick this up for you shortly after the end of the tax year and send a P800. You’ll have up to 45 days to claim online and receive a payment to your bank account, however if you don’t respond within this time HMRC will send you a cheque.

Stopped working and paid too much tax If you were made redundant and paid too much tax because of your redundancy payment, you must contact HMRC as soon as possible and explain the circumstances as you may be able to get a rebate before the end of the tax year.

If you have left your job and paid over the threshold already, aren’t claiming benefits, and expect to be out of work for more than four weeks, you will need to use a P50 form to apply for a tax rebate.

If you have left your job and are currently claiming benefits, you won’t be able to get a refund straight away. You’ll need to give Jobcentre Plus your P45 and any overpayments will be corrected when you start a new job or at the start of the next tax year.

Self-employed and paid too much tax If you completed your self-assessment tax return online, you will be able to claim your tax rebate via your online account. If you have tax due in the next 45 you won’t be able to claim, however the money will be deducted from anything you owe.

If you did a paper return, you will normally get your money back from HMRC automatically but, if you don’t, you will need to contact them by telephone or in writing.

Paid too much tax on your pension For private pensions, your pension provider may pay you back automatically or HMRC may send you a P800 tax calculation.

Contact HMRC if you need a refund before the end of the tax year or your provider doesn’t refund you automatically.

Paid too much tax on foreign income, UK income if you are a non resident, interest from savings or PPI refund or work expenses Check the Government’s tax refund claim tool to find out how to claim your tax rebate


Talk to the experts

Wondering when will I get my tax rebate? As chartered accountants and tax specialists, we can offer support and guidance with tax rebates. Get in touch with our expert team to find out how we can help.

Information correct at time of publication October 2019.

Chartered Accountants in Sunderland, offering expertise on everything from Tax and Business Planning,
to Accounts and VAT.